Welcome!


I am a theatre artist and an education consultant providing professional growth training, facilitating community-based projects using theatre arts to create dialogue in diversity and complexity.


Please drop me a note in comments, I would love to hear from you.



Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Neighbourhood Arts Network in Toronto

I became a member of a family of community-based artists who are all members of Neighbourhood Arts Network. Check out the link http://www.neighbourhoodartsnetwork.org/to find out about exciting community-based projects happening in Toronto. The summer is packed.

In the United States, there is a network for community-based arts called Community Arts Network (CAN) http://www.communityarts.net , which provides resources, information, advocacy, and connections to artists and community organizers, social activists, individuals and organization that all use arts as a means of community development. I am very happy to see that in Toronto, we now have Neighbourhood Arts Network, which serves a similar purpose - connecting like-minded people and supporting the use of arts in our neighbourhoods and communities.

"Community" - "Neighbourhood" - what is a neighbourhood and what is a community? Is there a difference between the two? How are they similar? I do not wish to answer these questions, they are out there for you and me to think about. In my work, I do not exclude one from the other or say that one is better than the other, but in seeing how do they overlap and how do they inform each other, I can serve my community and my neighbourhood better.

I can't wait to connect with the other members of NAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment